A & B Music Supplies Ltd, which was founded in 1974, with one retail store in the heart of Bridgetown, Barbados.
The company has grown to become the largest Live Sound provider, Retailer and Distributor in Barbados, St Lucia, St Vincent and Grenada. A & B Music Supplies has been in business for over 40 years and from its humble beginnings has developed into the Eastern Caribbean’s leading suppliers of products and services for the entertainment, commercial and tourism industries. The company is headed by Norman Barrow who started out as a musician in his school days and ended up becoming a professional with a band called the Sandpebbles. It was a popular group in the Caribbean during the late 60’s and 70’s.
In the latter years with the band, he started to import musical instruments for sale as it was not easy to get these items locally. After his wife joined him in the business, he decided to quit performing and go into it full time. At the time, sound systems and production services were not only beginning to become important to musicians but to every meeting, church, school, store, restaurant, stadiums, shows, etc. With his musical and studio background he started to study sound and how to configure sound system of all types for all types of venues and requirements.
In the late 1970’s, it was evident that a further push was needed to assist in the development of quality sound in Barbados and the Caribbean. After several training sessions in North America, Norman purchased a small to mid-sized concert sound system which debuted at all the large Crop Over events that year. Norman having his roots as a musician, picked up on all the best practices on live sound systems for both concerts and conferences. As a result, it allowed him to develop sound standards never before heard in Barbados and the Caribbean – especially from someone who was a local to the region.
The following years showed a dramatic increase for the need for professional concert and conference sound systems. Many larger systems were bought to accommodate this growing demand and allowed A & B Music Supplies to further expand into the Caribbean.Today, the company has the latest in current sound reinforcement systems including Line Array speaker systems and Digital Consoles which allows them to provide a world-class service to international and local artists when they perform.The result of such endeavours has been that after 40 years, we have developed a company that is the Caribbean’s largest supplier of musical instruments and professional audio equipment. In addition, we have the biggest commercial and rental division in Barbados.In recent years, this has expanded to the region and A & B Music Supplies is currently in the process of forming a partnership in St. Lucia to further expand the business.
The following is a list of some of the events and institutions in Barbados that A&B has provided production services, installation services and products to:
- Kensington Oval - A&B installed and maintained the public address system for many years. We also produced several entertainment events during various test Matches throughout the years.
- House of Parliament Barbados
- Barbados National Stadium
- Garrison Savannah Race Track
- Numerous Churches, Schools, Hotels and Night Clubs including all of the audio and video equipment at the new Barbados Hilton.
- Barbados Hotels: Hilton Barbados, Tamarind Hotel, Colony Club, Coral Reef Club, Almond Resorts, Crane Hotel Southern Palms Hotel, Grand Barbados Hotel, Sandy Lane Hotel, Accra Hotel and many more.
- Caribbean Development Bank
- Carifesta - Barbados
- The National Cultural Foundation
- Cropover Festival - have worked on all venues throughout the years and is the only company to date that has successfully provided services for the NCF's major concert on the East Coast of Barbados
- The Government of Barbados
- The National Independence and Remembrance Day Parades
- Governor General Independence Awards Annual Ceremony
- Barbados Jazz Festival
- Barbados Tourism Authority
- Barbados Hotel Association
- World Travel Awards
- Visit of President Clinton
- Visit of Kofi Annan - UN Secretary General
- Visit of President Castro to Barbados.
- Visit of the Queen of England.